Sheep For Sale

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Socks 5(or more) : Me 1

Last year I decided I wanted to learn to make socks. Forgot, got sick and just over a week ago started. Allena started me on 2 circular needles. I'll admit, I couldn't at the moment figure the concept out. I ordered a good set of needles and practice joins, knitting in the round on dpn's. Yesterday my Addi needles came and I began casting on for the 5th time (maybe more) on those, got the switching needles figured out and the join, made a few rounds and lost a stitch. So I put that back into my bag and started these. I've never made anything for my son. I've sewn lots of things for the girls and I figured the first pair of socks would be for him. They are a simple sock pattern out of the book "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd. I had forgotten that I had this book sitting on my shelf and glad I found it. It's been a great help.
I've found now that it pays not to cast on too tightly, I knit fairly tight. It makes knitting on the dpn's easier. The more rounds I do, the faster it seems to go. So I think there is hope.