Sheep For Sale

Friday, October 2, 2009

Kettle Dyeing and Spinning

Allena emailed yesterday about coming over to dye. She made it over and gave me a lesson in kettle dyeing. Wow, it's neat. After she had headed out, I put the kids skeins in the pots, on the stove to add a little more color. I let it set until the color absorbed before adding a different shade.
This is a skein for a pair of socks for myself.

These two smaller skeins are for socks for the girls. The bluish skein is a little softer than the picture shows. The purple doesn't stand out quite so.

I haven't started on my Hello Yarn fiber as I have been busy spinning some of my own Shetland fiber instead. It has been amazing to start with a sheep and work through the process to a handspun yarn. This was off of Fletcher Friday. He was a gorgeous ram.


The actual color is somewhere between these two pictures. It is a beautiful oatmeal color. I blended in a little silver and fawn alpaca. It didn't change to coloring, surely added softness though.