Sheep For Sale

Monday, December 7, 2009

Fair Isle Project

Yesterday I started on my Fair Isle hat project. One City Market (Yarn Shop) has mini classes called Saturday Snipits where their teacher, Vanessa Montileone, teaches a new technique to advance ones knitting skills. The last class was Estonian Braid- this class, held on Sunday afternoon, was the Fair Isle.
I'm really liking knitting this. It was difficult at first and the first row had to take well over 15 minutes if not 30 to get through. It was the knitting with 2 fingers, one yarn on the left hand and one yarn on the right. I'm used to carrying my yarn on the left hand ( Continental ?) and using the right was quite a challenge. Carrying yarn on the right hand just increased the difficulty.Although it was a struggle at first, it didn't take long to become comfortable knitting this way and now it's almost effortless and I can speed along.
One of the main things taught was how to make the inside neat and tack/secure the strands of yarn on the inside so that you don't have long strands to catch fingers on. This is especially true with sweaters. I never thought I'd learn to do this, knitting with a variety of colors seemed daunting. In the end it wasn't all that bad and I'm so glad I gave it a try.