Sheep For Sale

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wool Washing

Early last week I decided to shear the two spring lambs. Their fleeces were so nice that I hated to wait and have hay particles get buried into their fleeces. The neck wool on these lambs was 100% free of any debris.
I have one of my helpers looking through the locks for anything that needed removing.
The fleece is on a skirting table that I had made. It is foldable and when open is 8 ft. long by 4ft. wide (approx.). I had to make a minor change in the wire width and place a bar down the middle of each section. We couldn't get the wire in that width without buying a large roll at a very high price. I had found the pattern online at: http://hawksmountainranch.com/skirtingtableinstructions.html


A lock from the fleece.



Our wash vats in the barn come in handy for washing the wool . The water is 160 degrees F up there and with 2 vats and a washing machine handy, I can move along quickly.